Ever gone on a date where you just wanted to run within minutes of meeting someone? I can remember a date where this happened and I needed to come up with an exit strategy fast.
It started when I got to the place we were meeting and no one in the coffee shop looked remotely like the picture of the man I’d seen online.
It turns out he was late. When he did show up, this man was at least one hundred pounds heavier than his picture. His pants were falling off and in his hands was a brown bag that he later told me was his heart medicine he’d just bought. This was strike No.1 for lying about his weight.
He hugged me and the first words out of his mouth were my dog has fleas. That became strike No.2 as I have a dog and just hearing this gave me the willy-nillies.
Strike No. 3 came when we sat down and he started talking about his CPAP breathing machine. This was way too much information for a first date and now with three strikes, I was ready to leave.
Before I discovered exit strategies, not wanting to be rude, I would have stayed on a date until the guy signaled it was time to end it.
Not this time. I remember looking into my cup of tea for courage, and then I looked up at him and sweetly said, “I’m sorry. I forgot I had a 7:30 meeting when I scheduled our time together. I need to go in about 15 minutes.” And I did.
Funny thing is, he had no clue it was an exit strategy because he asked me out again. I declined.
Now, I’m going to give you permission to politely leave dates when they aren’t going well using one of these nine exit strategies.
9 EXIT STRATEGIES FOR LEAVING A DATE QUICKLY AND EASILY
1. You can always be honest and say, “I enjoyed meeting you and appreciate you buying me a drink, but I feel this isn’t working.”
2. You can arrange ahead to have a friend call you with a made up crisis about 15 minutes into a date.
3. You can always say you have a meeting you forgot you had to go to and will have to leave shortly; as I did.
4. Talk non-stop trash about your ex. He’ll think you’re a drama queen, but who cares? He’ll hightail it out of there pretty quickly.
5. Want to scare him and get him to take a hike? Talk about how you want to be married by the end of the year. Then start asking a ton of personal questions as if you were interviewing him for the job. You come across as desperate and most guys will run when they hear the words, “marriage this year,” on a first date.
6. Talk about your psychic or astrologer and how you always take to heart what they tell you. You can also mention that one of them told you how perfect the two of you are together. It makes you seem like you just walked off the “Twilight Zone” movie set. Chances are he’ll feel pretty uncomfortable and will exit quickly.
7. Start yawning over and over again while your date is talking. Then tell him you’ve had a long day, you’re really tired and have to get up early the next day so you’re going to cut the date short.
8. Don’t laugh, but spilling something on your clothing is a way to make a fast exit. You might want to order a glass of water with whatever else you’re drinking since it won’t stain.
9. You can always say you’re not feeling well, you’re experiencing flu-like symptoms. Most men will want to avoid you like the plague.
One of these should work for any date that isn’t working out. The only thing I urge is that you be nice, polite and respectful. He isn’t a bad guy. He’s just not the one for you.